Freekeh known as “Super Food” is made from young wheat that is harvested while still green and put through a roasting and rubbing process during production. It has a smoky, nutty flavor and a firm, chewy texture. It has gained popularity and is becoming the “new quinoa”.
Modern scientific analysis and clinical trials have discovered what traditional peoples have long known: that wheat, when harvested young, retains more of its proteins, vitamins and minerals and generate great health benefits.
Freekeh grows in the Bekaa and the South of Lebanon.
- “Low carb” food. Resistant starch plus high in fiber (up to 16.5% fiber). Available carbs are about 45 units / 100.
- Great for weight loss with short transition through the body.
- Greatly improves bowel health Helps with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, laxation and general bowel health.
- Pronounced increase in concentration and excretion of the short chain fatty acid butyrate which isassociated with diminishing the risk for developing degenerative bowel diseases including colorectal cancer and diverticulosis.
- Low Glycaemic Index with excellent insulin response (good for diabetics). Wholegrain freekeh GI = 43.
- High in nutritional content. Rich in protein, vitamins and minerals.
- 100% natural. Free from chemicals, GMO, colouring, additives or preservatives.
- Low fat content (similar to rice)
- Unlike mature grains, Freekeh is rich in Lutein and the Zeaxanthin (implicated in the prevention of age-related macular degeneration)
- Freekeh has a much higher protein quality than the same grains at maturity.