Fayrouz praying at the destroyed, looted and burned St George Cathedral back in 2001. (Check the video on top.). Later on the Cathedral was restored to its previous glory. Read the history of one of the most Glorious church in the Middle East.
As long as the early Byzantine era, there was in the center of Beirut a cathedral, the Cathedral of the resurrection Anastasis, situated near the celebrated Law School of Justinian. Texts from the time reveal that students of Beirut’s famous law school used to pray in the “nearby Anastasis Church,” which is likely to be in the same location where the St Georges Cathedral stands today.
“The bishop of Beirut Eustathius (Eustache), by decree of the Byzantine Emperor Theodosius II in the year 449 or 450, gave the city the title of “Metropolis”, a privilege which until then belonged to the city of Tyre, the capital of Phoenicia.
Eustathius also built in Beirut a large cathedral, the church of the Resurrection (Anastasis church), which bordered the “auditoria”, the classrooms of the Law School of Beirut where Christian students worshiped in the afternoon after their lessons.
The Cathedral is situated at the Place de L’Etoile or Parliament square. The Cathedral, with its splendid iconostasis and other treasures is the greatest and most glorious Church in the whole Middle East.
The Anastasis church was destroyed in 551 AD by a massive earthquake that devastated Beirut. The cathedral was rebuilt in the twelfth century, but was destroyed by an earthquake a second time in 1759. It was then rebuilt with a single altar and dedicated to Saint George.
The design was untenable however, and the cathedral collapsed again 3 years later. The cathedral was rebuilt in its current form with 3 new altars in 1772.”
By the time the Lebanese civil war (1975-1990) had ended in 1990, the cathedral was a mere shell of what it is today: structurally unsound and perforated with the scars of war from the bullets and shells of sectarian conflict.